Wednesday 23 May 2007

Recommended Restaurants

This is a shorter list of places I have been to but not done a review / remember enough detail!

Palm Suite, Iver
On Saturday I had a need to be over in Iver for an early afternoon appointment and needing lunch popped into Palm Suite with my dad and had a great lunch, especially as he was paying!! We both have similar tastes and both started with the tempura prawns, which were light, crispy, fresh and tasted great. We both then had sea bass with a prawn and chive butter served with new potatoes and green beans which was also perfectly fresh and melted in your mouth. We somehow managed desserts, dad opting for the summer pudding with clotted cream that I forgot to nab some of and I had three scoops of delicious ice-cream - I chose pistachio, hazlenut and vanilla bean - all delish! It doesnt have the most obvious of locations but is worth checking out if you are in the area.

Edited Mar 2009 - Still good, only popped in for a light bite whilst in area and still a charming little restaurant with friendly staff.

Bar163, Chertsey, KT16
The staff are so friendly in here, regardless of how busy they are it makes it a pleasure to eat, drink and be merry! I went on satuday 12/7 with a girly friend and had a great relaxing time, we shared a giant plate of light as air nachos topped with salsa, creamy guacamole and sour cream which was delicious and for mains I had home made salmon fishcakes that were lovely and fresh, just needed a wee pinch more kick in the red pepper sauce that accompanied them and they would have been perfect.

Also went back on last Friday 17/10/08 - had a great meal as always! They did seem to have some new staff in and service was friendly but a little slow, however they deducted off the total quite a chunk so worked out good value! I had lovely fresh bread and oil to nibble on then went with the veggie option of baked aubergine stuffed with veggie chilli, with creamed fennel on the side and sour cream, it was honestly utterly gorgeous, one of the best 'v' options I've tried! Somehow I also managed to eat a whole cheeseboard of brie, stilton and cheddar, with lots of lovely jacobs crackers and a wonderful sticky relish. The only real downside was that I had ordered mussels to be later told they were not at the best :( however my chilli was gorgeous so no real hardship!


Taipan, Uxbridge, UB
This is a buffet place but don't let the word 'buffet' put you off! We ate here in March 2008 and was very pleasantly surprised, service was faultless and efficient and the food was a lovely change from the usual buffet options. One of my favourites was the onion rings - they were coated in a tempura style batter and as light as air, also the spicy pork was delicious and tender. Is a reasonable £14 on weeknights and includes dessert, I had lime jelly and toffee banana - lush!! Definately a return trip next time I am over that way! (which happens to be tonight! 22/04/08)

Ko Gu Ryo, Staines, Middlesex - Korean
Fabulous place! Must book nowadays as packed of an evening!
Recommend the Seafood Pancake is wonderful and not like what it sounds!
Also the king prawns to start with are gorgeous and have a lovely lighter than air batter on them! Service is good, very polite staff who take time to explain any dishes you are unsure on. About £30 per head inc drinks. Best to order a selection of dishes as they bring them out in strange orders! The BBQ on the table is cute and meat from it is lovely, must be tried!

Anglers Retreat, Staines, Middlesex - British and European
This is half a pub half a restaurant, both sides serving different food.. Recommend the restaurant, has a Fish based menu and the Sea Bass I had last time was perfect - only thing I didnt like was their Sunday Lunch, generous portions but the beef was a little bit tough on our visit :(

London Hong Kong, Harmondsworth, Middlesex - Upmarket Chinese & Peking
We visited about a year ago and was quite possibly the best and most expensive chinese I have eaten! Came to £95 for two of us but that was three courses, appetizers and wine.
Service was very polite and efficient. Food excellent! We had perfectly cooked Honey bbq Duck breast, which melted in your mouth, also tried Scallops for the first time then and were lovely, served en shell, with tiny slivers of mushroom surrounding the scallop and dressed with a fiery ginger sauce! Mains we had various dishes including squid, chicken and beef, thoroughly greedy!! I was stuffed so didnt have dessert but they bought out a little plate of chilled fruits which was lovely.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anne, was googling and came across your site quite by accident. Nice reviews - I work in Uxbridge and live in Ashford so am familiar with all the restaurants you mention, but actually haven't eaten in any but the Anglers (I have to say that I thought it was trying a bit too hard when it first opened - fancy menu that they didn't quite manage to pull off) but I'm keen to give them a try on your recommendation. Keep noting any more that you try! Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stuart, many thanks for taking the time to write!

    Would recomend re-trying the anglers as have had several good meals in there, including recently. I find their fish courses very good and the sea bass is normally top notch.

    Its a small world - I too used to work in Uxbridge and lived in Ashford for a while so know the area pretty well! Can reconmend Taipan in Uxbridge town centre, is buffet chinese / thai food and very good value for money.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10