Friday 6 March 2009

Meatloaf with baked beans

I have memories of meatloaf, very bad memories of an awful, pre-packaged in a tinfoil tray, dry tasteless meatloaf my dear mum used to buy when I was young.

This really put me off for life, even the thought of making it didn't exactly fill me with pleasure...

However the boyfriend *loves* meatloaf and so, I have finally overcome my fear of M and am pretty impressed by the results! Meatloaf is never going to be pretty, either for serving or taking photographs of. I tried several picture angles but its not to be. However I did refrain from posting a picture of the actual mixture.

I did almost not post this recipe but is too good to stay in hiding!

The original inspiration for this dish came from Olive magazine, though I found doing pork only was a little heavy, have now tweaked to our liking! This is also pretty good value for money and feeds up to 6-7 people. This is moist and meaty, very man friendly dish!

400g minced beef
475g minced pork
1 large carrot, approx 200g
1 large onion
5 tbsp creme fraiche
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tin baked beans
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dried thyme + extra for dusting (fresh is also nice but dried is cheaper)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
50g dry breadcrumbs

You will need a large oven proof dish, at least 2 inches in depth. Mine is by Pyrex, approx 21 x 30 cm

*This can be made up to 24 hours before cooking, you will need to ensure all elements are cold before assembling*

Finely mince the onion and carrot - I used a mini food-processor for this, place in a microwavable bowl and cover, cook for 5 minutes.


Pre-heat oven, fan assisted 170o, approx 190o for other ovens

In a large mixing bowl, combine both minces, breadcrumbs, egg, thyme, s&p, creme fraiche, tomato ketchup and mix well. Add the carrot & onion mixture and combine thoroughly. Place half the mix in the dish and flatten out.

Drain most of the liquid of the baked beans:

Tip the drained baked beans onto the meat in dish and spread out.

Easiest way for next part is to use your hands to take a handful of the meat mixture and flatten out thinly in the palm of your hand, place in dish and repeat to make an even layer, until all mix used and then smooth out. Pour / spread over the reserved liquid and sprinkle a little more dried thyme over and a twist of black pepper.


Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, remove foil and bake for a further 25 minutes or until the top has lightly browned.

For serving use a knife to cut into sections. We had ours with basmati rice, a broccoli & cauliflower bake and salad.

Never going to be a weight watchers dish but very tasty! :)

6 comments:

  1. Your meat loaf looks delicious, but just as my hubby would say Anne, it's not the looks that matter but it's all in the taste!!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a meatloaf fan, sorry! It is comforting for most though! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. I agree, it looks delicious
    I bet it smelt fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, my boyfriend would die if I made this. I might surprise him with a loaf when he gets in from work tomorrow!

    Looks like a hearty meal :)

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd definitely eat the beans, lol! Looks like a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's funny how so much comfort food is impossible to photograph and look neat and attractive. Maybe that's why it's so comforting?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10