Sunday 26 April 2009

Drop Scones

Drop scones make a great breakfast and even if the fridge is bare, there tends to be the ingredients for these! I've been making these for years, they take minutes to make and are ideal even for a little late night snacking! I'm not a pancake person at all, however I can't get enough of these puffy little delights!

You can get carried away with different toppings for these, which is great as I like them sweet and my boyfriend likes them more savoury! Today I had fresh kiwi fruit and sliced gala apple, smeared with a little honey and rolled up to eat, delicious! Boyfriend had scrambled eggs, which is his favourite.


The recipe is taken from a great book called 'Just like mother used to make' by Tom Norrington-Davies.

Makes about 12

150g self-raising flour
2 tsp caster sugar
pinch of salt
1 large egg, beaten
150ml milk
Butter

Sift together in a pourable bowl the dry ingredients, mix in the egg, stir in the milk until you have a creamy mixture

Heat a large flat frying pan, use the butter to smear a layer on the base of the pan, carefully pour the mixture into the hot pan into little rounds, allowing enough room in between as they spread out, when they start bubbling (about 2 minutes), gently turn over and cook for a further minute, remove from pan and keep warm, repeat until all the mixture is used

10 comments:

  1. I haven't had these for ages. I am craving them now though! Definitely sweet for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make these for weekend breakies quite regulary. Serve mine with smoked bacon and drizzled with maple syrup - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look perfect and fluffy - just like they should. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These would make a delicious breakfast. I would have banana and cinnamon on mine - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these hot with butter and honey, Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would it be possible to make the batter the night before and just fry them the next morning for brekkie? They sound lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so yummy - I'm with you on the sweet side though. A drizzle of honey and some blueberries would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your kind comments, I hope you try them soon! :)

    Am not sure if can be fully assembled the night before but guess you could weigh out the dry ingredients and just add the milk and egg in the morning, though they really do take only minutes to prepare - normally in the time it takes to heat the pan :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks...I just mixed them on Sat morning half asleep and got my OH to fry - they were delish, will def be making again for a nice weekend breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is very easy to prepare.. much easier for me since I'm not that good in cooking.. thanks for the post.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10