Thursday 1 April 2010

Carrot, Parsnip and Sultana tea-loaf

Alongside my last loaf of regular Bara Brith (will post soon but just had to squeeze this in!), I went a bit crazy (blame afternoon wine consumption!) and experimented with the ingredients……..meet my new breakfast friend - Carrot, parsnip and sultana tea-loaf!

Lightly toasted and buttered its rather delicious but even just buttered is still very tasty! I have been eagerly wanting to post this all week but have mysteriously lost my uploader thingymagig and had to wait for a new one!

Doesn't this just say eat me?

I love carrot cake and I also love bara brith…this is a fusion of the two, in a very good way! The carrot adds a lovely colour to the loaf and along with the parsnip adds both texture and sweetness (without actually tasting of parsnips).

In comparison to the dry-ish texture of Bara Brith, this loaf is so much more moister and fruity, I have demolished it within a few days and eagerly waiting to make another! Breakfast, snack, midnight feast - this fits the bill! It also smells great too!

Easy
You will need a 2lb loaf tin. Oven 180/ fan 160 (max!)

300g self raising flour
100g golden caster
140g grated carrot and parsnip (roughly 2)
1 tsp mixed spice
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
25g candied peel, chopped
100g sultanas
20g chopped pecan nuts
1 large egg
100ml milk
2 tbsp golden syrup or treacle
Pinch salt

Sift the flour, sugar and salt together, stir in the fruit, pecans, candied peel, zest and juice of the lemon

Make a well and crack in the egg. Gently warm the milk and add the golden syrup, mix well and pour onto the egg and dried ingredients, mix to a thick dough and spoon into a lined or greased loaf tin. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes away clean.

The Bara Brith is hiding in the background!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't done afternnon wine consumption since Uni - must try it again soon, maybe I will be inspired

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Parsnip in the quickbread is a new ingredient for me! I love it! (Parsnips here cost about 4 x what carrots do, so I mightn't get a chance to try it for some time!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a yummie cake and unusual too - I haven't come across parsnip before in cakes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10