Saturday 27 November 2010

Salmon with warm Chickpea, Pepper and Spinach Salad

I spotted the other week that BBC Good Food were offering their Healthy Eating app to download for free for a short time only, and having just come into the world of ‘apps’ it was quite a novelty to me! And of course, free is always good!

Shortly after loading it, I spotted this appealing, simple recipe for a Warm Salmon and chickpea salad. Its very easy to make, even at 9pm at night after a busy shift at work and also light enough to eat that time of night!

I daresay this is more a summery dish but on a cold winters day the colours were bright and appealing to both the eyes and tastebuds! It also made for a delicious cold lunchbox filler, much to the envy of my colleagues! I didn’t have any baby spinach as stated, as I was using up some leftover from a veggie curry, however I just de-stalked it and shredded it up slightly, which worked just as well!

Admittedly, I did make a slight mess of the Ipod whilst making dinner; following the instructions but nothing a wet wipe can’t undo! It felt quite strange cooking from the app, rather than a book or sheet of paper but was fun at the same time!

Makes 2 (though I halved for the two occasions I cooked this)
20 minutes, Easy

2 x 140g salmon fillets
1 tbsp Extra virgin Olive oil
Pinch Smoked paprika
100g baby/ young spinach leaves
400g can chickpeas
1 large red pepper
½ lemon, zest and juice

Pre-heat grill to high. Destalk and quarter the pepper, turn over and squish down to flatten, grill for 5 minutes until slightly blackened and transfer immediately to a food bag or similar, allow to cool. Remove the skin and slice thinly

Season with salt and pepper, then grill the salmon for 5 minutes, or depending on thickness of your fillets, meanwhile gently heat the chickpeas in their juices. Whisk together the oil, smoked paprika and lemon juice and zest. Place the spinach on a serving plate, add the red pepper strips to the drained chickpeas, and half the dressing, mix together and spoon over the spinach. Top with the salmon fillet and drizzle over remaining dressing.

1 comment:

  1. What other Salmon dishes do you like to cook? I have made something similar to this and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10