Saturday 19 February 2011

Salami and Mozzarella Frittata

With my health having been not being particularly great over the last couple of months the thought of having ready meals every night was not really something that I would normally choose to eat - this dish is simple to cook and doesn't require too much energy!

In this posting, I am also very happy to report that I got the all clear from my surgeon this week, which was a huge relief! Whilst a couple of you knew what has been happening, until I’d got my results back I didn’t really want to share too many details here... I had a (thankfully) non-invasive Thymoma, which I’ve had successfully removed and can now look forward to the future and get back to normality again. And more importantly back in the kitchen!
 
One favourite dinner was this frittata recipe, slightly adapted from Nigella Lawson’s recipe for ‘Mortadella and Mozzarella frittata’. Our adaptation was the fact we couldn’t get any Mortadella, and therefore substituted for the salami. The recipe is taken from her latest book ‘Kitchen’ which I treated myself to at Christmas. I really love this book. Every time I get close to putting it in the bookshelf, it mysteriously comes back out again! Both for inspiration and the recipes I’ve cooked so far, it’s a book I can honestly recommend, providing of course everyday cookery floats your boat. Definitely a keeper.


Anyway, enough of me rambling, it’s a very easy and simple dish to make, and whilst it was lovely served hot for our dinner, it was also equally good served cold the next day. Best served on a nice, warm evening though, not the rainy grey night it was made this on!

You will need a 25cm wide frying/ sauté pan, suitable for both hob and going under the grill.

Serves 4-8 (I’m guessing 8 if you are serving children, we easily ate half of it between the two of us..)

Super easy:

6 eggs
125g mortadella (or salami), roughly chopped/ sliced
125g mozzarella, also roughly chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped plus a little extra for sprinkling. (I left this out, not a huge parsley fan, unless it is adorning garlic bread)
1 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
S&P, to taste
1 tbsp butter
Drop of garlic oil (aka my new best friend!)

Pre-heat the grill, nice and hot

Beat the eggs in a bowl, add the meat, cheese, parsley and season.

Gently melt the butter with the oil, in the frying pan, add the beaten mixture – do not stir – cook for about 5 minutes or until set, and golden (ours was more nearer 10 minutes). Transfer under the grill, and cook until all golden brown and puffed up. Allow to cool for a few minutes in the pan, then gently ease out onto your serving plate, I found a silicon spatula very useful for this part!


Serve hot with some nice green vegetable, such as broccoli or cold with a picnic and salad.

I am very tempted to add more cheese next time but then it becomes not so light and pretending it’s a healthy dinner..

6 comments:

  1. My goodness, that is certainly fantastic news. What a relief it must be for yourself and all your family. Sounds like D is such a support and does every partner good to have his share now and again! Bet that Frittata tasted amazing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, frittata is my 'go to' recipe when I can't face lots of preparation and cooking. Always delicious no matter what you throw in with the eggs.
    Glad to hear you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear you got the all clear. Your frittata looks great. I love Nigella's latest book too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are on the mend! I'm not sure I could stand the worry much longer!
    Well done, also, on teaching D to prepare delicious food. Cooking together or taking turns to cook for each other is a wonderful way to show how much you love and care! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne! I´m glad you´re better now! The frittata looks scrummy as does the Marmalade Cake and the Crustless Pizza! I´ll have to check Nigella´s new book out...as of yet I don´t have any of her books ; ) Take care!xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10