Sunday 1 May 2011

Gammon and Potato bake aka Leftovers go to Heaven

I adore potatoes, they are my favourite carb and are just so versatile, from new potatoes simply boiled, and finished with a little butter and a few mint leaves; to being jazzed up into Gnocchi. Infact I don’t think I have ever come across a potato dish I have not enjoyed!

A few weeks back I had a quantity of cold, cooked gammon leftover from Sunday lunch; we’d already had gammon sandwiches and being a chilly evening I didn’t really fancy having a cold dinner again so I put out my dilemma to Twitter and the lovely Hampshire cook answered my prayers with her fabulous potato bake!

After a quick scan of the recipe I didn’t have any leeks, or indeed the correct potatoes and improvised with the last of some rather large new potatoes, sliced thinly, along with some sautéed onions, that were abandoned from a plan to make a frittata with the previous night.

Oh my it was lush! Beautiful layers of creamy potatoes, smokey salty ham and the onion disbursed through. Next time I cook gammon I will be ensuring we have leftovers, specifically to make this dish!

5 comments:

  1. Oooh that does look good Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lush Indeed. I love potatoes too, and I think they go with gammon so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gammon, potatoes and greenery - doesn't get much better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recipe idea almost makes me cry, it sounds that lovely. My hubby hates potatoes with a passion and this sort of meal is everything he hates in a dinner. For me, it's everything I love. It's no good, he's going to have to have fish fingers one night, so that I can have this! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone - it is definitely my new favourite potato dish!

    Jenny - can't believe your hubby dislikes potatoes! Definitely make it and just grab a fork, let him make his fish fingers ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10