Friday 3 February 2012

Spinach, Mushroom and Coconut Dal

Jacqueline – as promised I've finally posted up my dal recipe for you from my meal planning thread!


After pencilling in 'make dal' somewhat earlier on my draft meal planner, then closer to the night realising I had some spinach to use up, and had accidentally bought some mushrooms reduced to clear (I say accident but we all know that's a lie, I could eat them daily!) it developed into a spinach and mushroom version. And it was truly delicious, full of earthy flavours from both the mushrooms and spinach, and the slightly nutty flavours from the lentils. Definitely one of my favourites!

Also I loved having the contrasting sides of a simple cucumber raita, which also used up the last of a slightly sad cucumber, and my ever favourite carrot and sultana salad. I make it more often than any other salad, it keeps well and easily tweaked with subtle seasoning's to go with your menu. Or just to be eaten with a fork whilst standing by the fridge also works very well!



This is also my submission to My Legume Love Affair #44, hosted this month Sweet Artichoke


Makes 3 portions, however I was greedy and ate it in two, as had seconds!
Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
100g moong dal chilka lentils, washed
1 white onion, diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
6 white mushrooms
2 large handfuls of spinach, roughly torn/ shredded
1 tin coconut milk
1 stock pot dissolved in 500 ml boiling water (use veggie or meaty depending on your preference)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder (optional)
s&p to taste

Start by toasting the spices in a dry, heavy pan until the mustard seeds start popping, transfer to a grinder or pestle & mortar and grind lightly. It takes mere moments and really is worthwhile to do this bit!

Heat the oil in a large saute type pan, fry the onion and garlic over a medium heat until softened but not brown.

Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stir in the spices, lentils, 2/3 of the stock, bring to the boil, then add the coconut milk, stir well, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for a good 35-40 minutes or until the lentils are soft and cooked through, add more stock along the way to loosen if needed. Skim off any foam.

Stir in the spinach, and wilt down uncovered.


Season to taste and serve with accompaniments of your choice. Naan breads or chappatis would be good to dunk in!

7 comments:

  1. I could eat mushrooms every day too. It's a delicious looking dal and I like the sound of your carrot salad as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sending your recipe to this month MLLA!
    This dal looks delicious, I have never tried mushrooms in dal and it sounds like a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne! Can I come for dinner? :) I am a big fan of raita but never tried dal. It sounds delicious! Happy to be your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good Anne! I could easily live on lentils!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another big dal fan here, looks very good and bursting with flavours.
    The carrot salad looks like a winner too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, this sounds delicious. I'd have to omit the mushrooms though as they don't agree with me these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Came back for another look and realised I didn't leave a comment. Whoops!!! Thanks for posting it Anne. I am bookmarking it xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10