Thursday 18 April 2013

Brie Stuffed Mushrooms with Balsamic Courgettes

Firstly, whilst I've been cooking an awful lot, I've not been really photographing, yet alone making notes, and so in turn the blog has become a little redundant... Over the past few months, my circumstances have evolved for the better, I have completed a course of therapy to help my understanding of me better, and as a result things I used to needlessly prioritize have changed.

I made this delicious recipe up months back, if I recall correctly after Christmas, when we had a glut of brie leftover and my dad bought me a tray of gorgeous flat mushrooms over. Its since been patiently sitting on my 'to post' list. Not sure why I hadn't gotten around to it but like life but finally it is here!

Looking back, I think my blogging became an outlet of sorts, maybe even escapism from a situation where I didn't feel my cooking was appreciated, and allowed me to vent and I suppose seek opinion and reassurance that what was I making, was infact good/ edible etc! Whereas now I know whilst its not always perfect, I can cook well, even quite brilliant at times and I am more accepting of my strengths and weaknesses. Not just in food, pretty much everything in my life really.

I can honestly say, that to anyone who has gone through the ugliness of crippling anxiety and depression - you have my upmost respect and sympathy. Its only when you look back and realise just how many corners of your life that it had crept into, how much power it had over you that you find out how strong you really are, and can start cutting back those weeds, until they eventually clear. Then its a case of the odd sprinkle of weedkiller to keep it at bay. If you ever feel like you might be in the same position - please do seek help - its nothing to be ashamed of!


So getting back to the one that has remained a passion of mine - the food - its been a love hate relationship at times but this was definitely love! The brie goes oozingly meltingly lovely against the earthy mushrooms and it makes a perfect lunch for one, two or more.


Ingredients:
2 heaped tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
6 leaves purple basil (regular will be fine too!)
A small wedge of brie
2 large flat mushrooms
Spray oil

1 courgette
½ tbsp. balsamic vinegar
S&p



Start by preheating the grill, spay the mushrooms with generous chunks of brie, pack with breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper, and add a few torn up basil leaves.



Spray liberally with oil and grill at medium-hot for approx. 10 minutes or until bubbling and golden.

Meanwhile, for the courgettes, slice into 1cm chunks. Pan fry in a little oil over a moderate heat to get some colour on - they should still have some bite to them, season with salt and pepper, swirl in about a tbsp. of balsamic vinegar to coat, serve immediately alongside the mushrooms.

1 comment:

  1. So glad things are going better for you now Anne. Those mushrooms look so delicious - I would love one or two of them for supper now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my kitchen! I love to hear your thoughts and comments on my recipes!

Anne

01 09 10